Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Carnival of the Africans #9

Welcome to the 9th installment of the Carnival of the Africans, the world's premiere blog carnival of sciency and skeptical goodness by Africans or about Africa.

First up this month is our previous host, Simon of Amaneunsis. He's got three great posts: the use of randomized controlled trials in social science, the importance of evidence-based sex education, and how a newspaper (gasp!) got happiness economics wrong.

subtle shift in emphasis is a great blog and, while I can't vouch for the maths, the author's post on homeopathy's silliness is just as good. Bottom line: it's nothing but water. Move on.

Michelle, The Skeptic Blacksheep, has been blogging about psychics of late: first, how these crooks claimed to be in contact with Michael Jackson soon after his death and, second, why psychics appear to have "powers". (Hint: cold reading).

Next, George Claassen of Prometheus Unbound asks: does Koos Kombuis (a well-known South African artist) believe in fairies? Alas, yes. (Sort of).

Botswana Skeptic has a consumer protection message: pyramid-schemes are bad for you. Steer clear.

Tim Beck of Reason Check (a blog new to me) has a whole bunch of interesting and worthy posts. Here I'll highlight just two: Sangomas at university (no, really) and what creationists and conspiracy theorists have in common.

Lastly, Angela of The Skeptic Detective has two posts this month about skeptical issues: a new twist in the autism-vaccination fracas and the media disseminating the views of moon hoax conspiracy nuts.

That, alas, is it! Our next edition is due out in another month and Owen over at 01 and the universe will be our host.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michael,

    Just a quick note to say Thank You for the link to my blog, much appreciated...;-D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for this Michael. ReasonCheck is indeed a new blog - it's just about three months old. What's been really interesting is getting to know the South African sceptic blog community.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle -- no problem! I've been enjoying your stuff. I was particularly impressed that, apparently, van Praag showed up in your comments. :-)

    Tim -- don't mention it. And, yeah, we have a growing skeptical / atheist / science-boosting community. It's quite gratifying. Please check out: http://ionian-enchantment.blogspot.com/2008/08/south-african-science-blogging-update.html and send me an email so we can keep in touch. If you'd like, I can add you to our skeptical mailing list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah, but being the cynic I am, I don't think it was Van Praagh, but someone who runs his website.
    I was really hoping to get him to reply to my comment because I knew he had made a reference to picking up MJ's "energy" in a live chat he had on his site - I had infiltrated as a spy...evil, I know, but he didn't take the bait. Oh well * shrugs*

    :-D
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete