- Mining social networks for useful information. Fascinating work being done - especially by cellphone companies.
- Quantum cryptography is unbreakable in theory; not so much in practice.
- Rewiring the nervous system to give patients better control of prosthetic limbs.
- New ways to provide power to the world's poor. Think LEDs and biofuel-powered micro-grids, with a healthy salting of new business models.
- Engineered geothermal electricity generation. Drill hole, insert water, collect steam, generate power. Just beware the earthquakes...
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
So it's time again for the Economist's Technology Quarterly... My picks: