Thursday, February 28, 2008

Being out

When I started this blog, I didn't quite know how it was going to turn out but it's certainly surprised me in some ways. In the beginning I thought I was going to blog exclusively about specific academic papers in social and evolutionary psychology but, for numerous reasons, it didn't work out that way at all. I soon realized - and admitted - that my interests cannot be contained, that I can't not blog about everything I'm interested in. I have, however, been a bit cagey about one issue: my atheism. (Yes, I am an atheist. And proud of it.) For some reason I thought that, if I discussed atheism, my blog would no longer qualify as a science blog - and I most certainly want it to be that. As a result, I would write up entries about atheistic issues and then end up posting them as Facebook notes instead of on this blog. But it occurred to me that plenty of paradigmatic science bloggers - PZ Myers comes to mind - discuss atheism/religion issues and are still regarded as science bloggers. So phooey to being cagey. Don't fear: this will always remain an academic blog. I won't ever discuss, say, my favorite Pancetta pasta recipe or drone on about my love life.

(Note the new links in my blog roll and the shiny scarlet A, right. See also Greta Christina's rationale for including the A on her blog.)

1 comment:

  1. Samuel Skinner
    Hey- atheism does fall under science- existance of things specifically. Of course it also crosses into philosophy due to fence shifts.

    ReplyDelete