Thursday, February 28, 2008

So the Rapture DIDN'T happen in 2007

Note: this started its life as a Facebook note, I'm not quite sure why I never posted it here. Google Cache no longer archives Corbitt's nonsense, but I promise that's what she said!

While reading a list of the Top 100 Quotes from crazy Christian fundamentalists, I tied to follow a link to a website that claimed the Rapture would happen in 2007. Unsurprisingly, the website is now down - but thanks to Google Cache we can still get a glimpse. The person responsible is one Shelby Corbitt who wrote a book that supposedly is:
a prophetic message from God for the world. Everyone must know and will know this warning from Him. This book tells of events to prepare for and a date that the rapture of the church will happen. Catastrophic events are about to happen, just like in the days of Noah. God is saying, "Are you rapture ready?" This message is for every single person living in this present day and hour.
As some of you might have noticed, the rapture did not in fact happen during 2007... so a bit of backpedaling was in order. Corbitt posted the following on January 1st, 2008:
We made it to 2008. I am extremely disappointed that I was wrong about the rapture. I apologize for any disappointment I caused others. I apologized on my main page. I will leave it up for a few days before I take the website down. I want to thank the 1000's of emails I have gotten over the past few days, expressing the gratitude to the website. So many of you have said that even if the prophecy did not happen the website helped them to get back in touch with God and get their lives straight. I am so glad that good came from this whole ordeal. Several people want to know what I intend to do. I am a nurse so I will go back to work, unless I have another option come to me that sounds better. I really do not have much to say at this point. God bless you all and have a Happy New Year!!
But, fear not: there is already another website up which claims that, rapture wise, 2008's the charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment