Monday, December 1, 2008

Skepticism and the Long Tail

Tim Farley, creator of What's The Harm? and author of the blog Skeptical Software Tools, has an interesting post entitled "The Long Tail of Skeptical Wesbites". He argues, among other things, that skeptics should focus less on general websites covering many topics and start creating one-topic websites that will rank highly in Google. In other words, we need fewer blogs (like this one...) and more sites like Stop Danie Krugel.

As I said, interesting and provocative. Check it out.

2 comments:

  1. I read this post and found it extremely interesting. I also think something like this would be a good idea for topics in SA (a la Danie Krugel).

    I like the idea of having a Zuma files series like on the blog "Africa is a Country" (http://theleoafricanus.com/?s=%22zuma+files%22)

    But Zuma bores me and he's possibly too general for the long tail.

    What about a blog that is themed along the lines of incursions on freedom of speech in SA universities? See Pierre de Vos's piece on Constitutionally Speaking: http://constitutionallyspeaking.co.za/?p=729

    I don't know if I have the energy for another blog tho. However, this could work well with multiple contributors.

    Any more suggestions for topics people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly don't have the energy for a foray into politics blogging but, yes, perhaps something about academic freedom... I have a blog entry on that coming up, btw...

    ReplyDelete